“A few weeks ago while driving to work, I was suffering from the lingering effects of a migraine headache. I didn’t feel great, and I was tired – I had been up after midnight battling fruit flies and bottling peaches. The thought of turning around, going home, and crawling back into bed crossed my mind. However, considering my workload and not wanting to get behind, I continued on.
“As I drove, I began to review in my mind all of the things I had to accomplish that week – one more box of peaches, house work, yard work, shopping the case lot sales, birthday presents to buy and mail, visiting teaching, sharing time, and a myriad of other things. Needless to say, I managed to make myself feel worse than I had when I left home.
“I had been listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and almost as if on cue, the magnificent introduction to How Firm a Foundation began to ring through the speakers. I love this hymn; it has always been one of my favorites. As I tuned in, I began to hear the familiar words, “as thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be, fear not, I am with thee, I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand . . . “ Truthfully, I had never associated these words with standing in front of the kitchen sink peeling peaches at midnight, but in that moment it seemed like the Spirit was bearing witness to me that the Lord was, and always had been, continually aware of my burdens – no matter how trivial or mundane. He knew my head hurt, He knew I was tired, He knew what I had to get done – and I knew He would strengthen me and help me.
“My heart was instantly filled with gratitude and thanksgiving as I realized that what I had perceived as my burdens were instead my greatest blessings! How deeply grateful I am for the gospel, and for my opportunity to serve in helping to build the kingdom – for the opportunity to have a home and a family who enjoys eating bottled peaches! By the time I reached my office, I had listened to the song multiple times. It was as if the Lord had provided me a much-needed spiritual pep rally. Even though my physical pain had not been relieved, I felt renewed and more able to face my day and my week, knowing with perfect confidence the Lord was with me.
“I hope as we approach the wonderful season of Thanksgiving, you will have a chance to ponder all you have been blessed with – that you too will know how intimately aware the Lord is of all His children. How fortunate we are to have a day – an entire season, really – to remember and recognize all He has done for us.”
Susan Condie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the great Thanksgiving thought. I really needed that! Love ya and still really need to see your cute baby!
Post a Comment