Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Help!!!

Hello All,
I'm looking for some help in a couple of areas and I am hoping with so many smart wonderful friends that I will get some responses. :)

First off, I am currently trying to loose some weight and need motivation. Can you send me some good low fat recipes, ideas on excercising with the babies around, etc. I do know that eating less and exercising more makes you loose weight (I've figured that out) but I would love some new fun ideas. Please help!!! :):):)

Second, every Sunday I dread going to church. Right now with 2 one year olds all I feel is inadequate each time I go to Sacrament. I see other families with their kids (yes kids of about the same age, some younger some older) sitting quietly throughout the meeting. I have no clue how to make Aaron and Emma do this. I have tried "quet time" at home to practice but that doesn't last for more than 30 seconds. I bring books, crayons, quiet toys, and treats but none of it keeps their attention for more than a few minutes. I'm so self conscious about what others are thinking... "Can't she keep her kids Quiet?" "Can't they make their kids sit down" etc.
I hate thinking this way but can't seem to stop myself. What am i doing wrong? what's wrong with my kids that they don't stay seated like other kids?
I end up in the hallway after 15 minutes for the rest of church. I see a couple of other parents in the hall but so many more are still sitting in the meeting. There are about a thousand kids in our ward and most are doing so good. Are there certain tricks no one has thought it important to pass along to me?! Do you parents drug your kids with Benadryl before coming to church? What am I missing that seems to be so obvious to so many?
Please send instructions before I decide that I have completely lost my mind by deciding to attend church regularly.
Let me end by saying that yes, I know there is no instruction manual on keeping kids reverent, but the church has so many manuals already why haven't they come up with one for this problem?

6 comments:

Shari said...

Can I just say I hear ya girl! The whole way through. Your kids are not the only ones. I spend most of sacrament out in the hall and Mark or i spends most of sunday school and relief society out in the hall. Since Katelyn has decided she doesn't like nursery either. Not to mention that neither of my other two kids are very good in sacrament either. Meryn is usually saying in her loud voice. This is boring and for adults. It is hard, but at least when you go you dont get out of the habbit of going. When we left Saratoga we got out of the habbit of going and now two 1/2 years later are finally attending again. So Better in the hall then at home :)As for the weight stuff. I'm working on that one too. IF you go to my cooking site then look under weight watchers and I have some good recipes that we like to eat. I even eat them when I am not trying to loose weight and should be :) Hope some of this helps.

Brooke S said...

I take my hat of to you Jules... I think all the hard work you have been doing has really paid off.. You are one smoking hot momma of 2 one year olds... I think the hardest thing for me is trying to make it a habit counting points and all.. I did so good for a year and now hoop de doo I'm in t.r.o.u.b.l.e again.. I have good intentions not to nibble but alas I do... I have a great pumpkin cookie recipe I will e-mail you... With all the cold coming on you can eat lots of yummy soup...

As far as church.... I spent 9 mounts straight in the hall until zach was old enough for nursery then guess what I was in nursery too.. He hated it and they would always bring him to me instead of letting him just get use to it... So I figure I might as well go to.. I didn't have anyone to spell me off so I just had to buckle down and take a deep breath every sunday and remember that I was going to be blessed by going to church and nursery...

They grow so fast just remember to enjoy the ride pretty soon they will be giving you a ride.. Don't forget to wave next time you see Andrew driving us around to get all his hours in...

Hugs
Brooke

Katie said...

I'm excited you posted your weight loss question. Maybe I can pick up some good pointers. I was reading in Parent's magazine last night and they had a HUGE article devoted on how to lose your baby weight...and how the only true way to do that is to eat LOTS and LOTS of fiber!! :) I'll save the article for you if you'd like but as for me, I think I'll get a gym membership.

I'm in nursery with Samantha as well so that solves my RS/Sunday School Problem. As for Sacrament Meeting (which is the last meeting in my ward. DUMB!) I play little games with her like head shoulders knees and toes, and pat-a-cake. Of course you have to play these quietly. I'm sure it's not the most reverent thing to do...but if it keeps her quiet for a little while I'll do it. She's a pretty calm kid though and it doesn't take much to keep her contained. Good luck and let me know if you'd like that article. :)

DeVries Family said...

Are ya CRAZY??? Your kids are fine! Just resolve yourself to the fact that you are not going to get ANYTHING out of church until nursery...it's all about just BEING there! They'll get it soon enough! All they know is that church is a place they go...but being there is the battle. You are setting an incredible example and expectation for them. They'll grow up knowing that they were raised going to church, even when it was torture for their mommy!
Hang in there Jules! It will get better! Take advantage of all the willing help in the hallways!

I totally agree with Brooke! You are one HOT MAMMA!!

Brandis said...

stop comparing yourself to everyone else in church, because I'm sure the parents with the "perfect" kids think they are the noisiest ones there as well! Your own kids are always louder to you than they are to everyone else! Unfortunately sacrament mtg really won't have a point until the kids are about 6, when they finally get the whole "be quiet" thing. My boys are finally easy at church, while I am still chasing Araleigh up and down the aisles and sitting in the hall. What works (for a minute) are snacks - my girl is super motivated by food - and I tell her she has to be reverent for 1 minute before she can have her snack. She's just barely getting it, but it's a start. Just remember it isn't the members of the congregation who we need to worry about pleasing.

Rach said...

You are great!! Don't even worry about it... I think your kids are great. I also think it takes time for sure. But something that helps me is I have things that are strictly for church. That way they are new and they actually want to do them. As for the weight loss thing I am still trying to figure that out. But I love treats so I just try to ration and make sure it is a good one when I do have one!